(the chart: Opening of the Polls 2nd round France, 7 May 2017 8:00:00 CED -02:00:00, Paris, France 02e20’00 – 48n52’00)
I took the ascendant for Macron as he won the first round and is the favorite to win the election. Therefore the 7th is Le Pen. The degree of the Midheaven is the office or the prize if you want.
Mercury, the lord of the Ascendant (Macron), applies to Saturn, the Lord of the 10th (by division – 9th whole sign) (the office). However, that being said there is something that makes me question whether or not Macron in fact will win. Saturn is retrograde in the angle of the 7th and Mercury is applying from the 11th and the domicile of Saturn’s fall, Aries. Now the medieval astrologers called this “returning” (radd in Arabic). When the pushing planet (Mercury) applies to Saturn, which is retrograde then it returns the matter to Mercury.
“But “returning” comes to be in two ways. One; that a planet would be joined to a planet under the rays, and it would not be able to retain what it received from it, and thus it will return it. Secondly, that a planet would be joined to a retrograde planet, and it returns to it what it received from it on account of its retrogradation.”
The second case is what we have in this event chart, Mercury joining to the retrograde Saturn. We are told that a returning either destroys the matter or that there can be situations in which the matter will come to pass none the less. “…perhaps the returning will be with fitness, or perhaps it will be with detriment.”
Abū Ma’shār goes on to say; “returning with fitness comes to be in three ways.”
1. “…that the planet to which it is pushed is receiving the pusher.” In our chart it would be fit in spite the retrogradation if Saturn received Mercury. Does Saturn receive Mercury? As I first said, it is in the sign which is Saturn’s fall. Abū Ma’shār in another place describes this as one coming to another from its enemies house. Mercury is only in the triplicity of Saturn which was a very, very, weak reception at best. Pretty much the consensus among astrologers was there needed to be at least 2 of these lesser dignities to indicate a semi-strong reception. Had Mercury been at 25 Aries he would have been in both the terms and triplicity so we could have said that it is received. But that is not the case and therefore cannot say he is received and finds grounds for fitness from this consideration.
2. “…that the pusher is direct in course and the one to whom it is pushed is burned up or retrograde, and both are in an angle or in the follower to an angle.” Well we do have this with Mercury and Saturn. Mercury is direct and in a succeedent house (the 11th) while Saturn is retrograde and in the angle of the 7th. So I honestly have to answer yes to this consideration. Both are either in an angle or what follows an angle (succeedent).
3. “…that the planet [receiving the pushing] would be burned up or retrograde, [or] cadent from the angles, and the pushing planet in an angle or in a follower to an angle. But if they were so, and the cadent or burned or retrograde one received the arrangement, it destroys the matter. If however the receiver returned to the pusher and the pushing one was in an optimal place, it will make the matter fit after destruction.” This is not the case here, since Saturn is in an angle while retrograde.
I therefore find the 2nd exemption to be a compelling one that supports the matter will be accomplished.
Abū Ma’shār further says, “Also, its returning with destruction comes to be in two ways.”
1. “…that the pushing one would be cadent, and the retrograde or burned one to which it is being pushed is in an angle or in one following an angle.” As already established, Mercury (the pushing one), is not cadent it is succeedent. So this consideration is not applicable.
2. “….that the pushing one and the receiver are cadent or burned, and it will return to it what it received from it with its arrangement destroyed, on account of its condition of retrogradation or being under the rays: and the pushing one could not be able to advance with that matter. Then it signifies that there is neither a beginning nor end to that matter.” This condition requires that both the planet applying and the planet being applied to, are either cadent or combust. Again this is not the situation. Mercury is succeedent, direct and free of the Sun, and Saturn while retrograde, is angular and free of the sun, so neither is this consideration applicable.
The lord of the 7th (Le Pen) is retrograde and not joined to the significator of the Midheaven. Therefore I have to give this contest to Macron. But what is interesting is that he is from the “house of the enemy” of the government. Poor France!
This prediction was first published to the private astrology group, Company of Astrologers, on Saturday the 6th of May, 2017. Following is a copy of my “activity log” from Facebook to document when I published it.
Quotes from Abū Ma’shār are from his “Greater Introduction”.